Friday, June 6, 2008

Prayer and Fasting for GAFCON - Day 17

Opening Verse
Thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones. Isaiah Ivii. 15.

From the Psalms of Ascent
I look for the LORD; my soul doth wait for him; * in his word is my trust.

OUT of the deep have I called unto thee, O LORD; * Lord, hear my voice.
O let thine ears consider well * the voice of my complaint.

I look for the LORD; my soul doth wait for him; * in his word is my trust.

If thou, LORD, wilt be extreme to mark what is done amiss, * O Lord, who may abide it?
For there is mercy with thee; * therefore shalt thou be feared.

I look for the LORD; my soul doth wait for him; * in his word is my trust.

I look for the LORD; my soul doth wait for him; * in his word is my trust.
My soul fleeth unto the Lord before the morning watch; * I say, before the morning watch.

I look for the LORD; my soul doth wait for him; * in his word is my trust.

O Israel, trust in the LORD; for with the LORD there is mercy, * and with him is plenteous redemption.
And he shall redeem Israel * from all his sins.

I look for the LORD; my soul doth wait for him; * in his word is my trust.

GLORY be to the Father, and to the Son, * and to the Holy Ghost;
AS it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, * world without end. Amen.

From The One Hundred Thirtieth Psalm, 1928 Book of Common Prayer (USA)

A Prayer for Guidance
O GOD, by whom the meek are guided in judgment, and light riseth up in darkness for the godly; Grant us, in all our doubts and uncertainties, the grace to ask what thou wouldest have us to do, that the Spirit of Wisdom may save us from all false choices, and that in thy light we may see light, and in thy straight path may not stumble; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

The Second Morning Lesson
12 One day soon afterward Jesus went up on a mountain to pray, and he prayed to God all night. 13 At daybreak he called together all of his disciples and chose twelve of them to be apostles. Here are their names:
14 Simon (whom he named Peter),

Andrew (Peter’s brother), James, John, Philip, Bartholomew,
15 Matthew, Thomas, James (son of Alphaeus), Simon (who was called the zealot),
16 Judas (son of James), Judas Iscariot (who later betrayed him).
17 When they came down from the mountain, the disciples stood with Jesus on a large, level area, surrounded by many of his followers and by the crowds. There were people from all over Judea and from Jerusalem and from as far north as the seacoasts of Tyre and Sidon. 18 They had come to hear him and to be healed of their diseases; and those troubled by evil spirits were healed. 19 Everyone tried to touch him, because healing power went out from him, and he healed everyone.
20 Then Jesus turned to his disciples and said,
“God blesses you who are poor,

for the Kingdom of God is yours.
21 God blesses you who are hungry now,
for you will be satisfied.
God blesses you who weep now,
for in due time you will laugh.
22 What blessings await you when people hate you and exclude you and mock you and curse you as evil because you follow the Son of Man.

23 When that happens, be happy! Yes, leap for joy! For a great reward awaits you in heaven. And remember, their ancestors treated the ancient prophets that same way.
24 “What sorrow awaits you who are rich,

for you have your only happiness now.
25 What sorrow awaits you who are fat and prosperous now,
for a time of awful hunger awaits you.
sorrow awaits you who laugh now,
for your laughing will turn to mourning and sorrow.
26 What sorrow awaits you who are praised by the crowds,
for their ancestors also praised false prophets.
Luke 12, NLT

Prayer
Ah Lord Jesus! We try to wait, but our flesh is so impatient. We pour the new wine into any old skin, and both are wasted. Help our souls to wait for you!

Help the GAFCON pilgrims to be like you, praying in the Father's presence all night before facing the daybreak of decision.

Help them to be like the crowd from all regions, waiting at the foot of the mountain for you to come down and heal them.

Help them to be like your disciples, waiting close by so that you can turn and teach them.

Help your whole church to wait expectantly in our "now" of poverty, weeping and curses, and bring us to rejoice in the New Jerusalem. We pray in your Name. Amen.

1 comment:

TLF+ said...

Apologies - don't know why this didn't post automatically this a.m. as scheduled.