Saturday, May 17, 2008

Trinity Sunday

Let Us Pray For...
Diocese of the Rio Grande, ACN

Rocky Mountain Network, AMiA
The Rev. Phil Eberhart


Special Prayer Petitions

The Episcopal Diocese of the Rio Grande is in the early stages of a search for their 9th Bishop. They ask for our prayers in this process.

Please also pray for the members of Standing Committee of the Diocese of the Rio Grande:

The Rev. Canon Dr. Colin P. Kelly, III (President)
The Rev. Brian Winter
Canon Paul Shoemaker
The Rev. David Luckenbach
Ms. Elizabeth (Betsy) Yost (Secretary)
Ms. Diane Butler

Please pray also for
the Rt. Rev. William C. Frey, retired Bishop of the Diocese of Colorado, who has agreed to serve as their Assisting Bishop.

Please pray for the AMiA Churches in the Rocky Mountain Network:

Anglican Church of the Spirit - Littleton, Colorado
Resurrection Anglican Fellowship - Centennial, Colorado
Epiphany Anglican Fellowship - Northern Front Range
Wellspring Church - Englewood, Colorado
Holy Spirit Anglican Church - Broomfield, Colorado
The Light of Christ Anglican Church - Denver, Colorado
Church of the Apostles - Evergreen, Colorado
Christ the King Anglican Church - Monument, Colorado
St. Phillip the Evangelist Anglican Church - Cortez, Colorado
Community of ACTS - Pueblo West, Colorado
Christ Our Hope Anglican Church - Fort Collins, Colorado
Anglican Church of the Resurrection - Casper, Wyoming
St. John's Anglican Church - Park City, UT


From the Scriptures
In the year of King Uzziah's death I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, lofty and exalted, with the train of His robe filling the temple.

Seraphim stood above Him, each having six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew.

And one called out to another and said,
"Holy, Holy, Holy, is the LORD of hosts,
The whole earth is full of His glory."

And the foundations of the thresholds trembled at the voice of him who called out, while the temple was filling with smoke.

Then I said,
"Woe is me, for I am ruined!
Because I am a man of unclean lips,
And I live among a people of unclean lips;
For my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts.

Then one of the seraphim flew to me with a burning coal in his hand, which he had taken from the altar with tongs.

He touched my mouth with it and said, "Behold, this has touched your lips; and your iniquity is taken away and your sin is forgiven."

Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me!"

Isaiah 6:1-8 (NASB)


A Guiding Prayer
Almighty and everlasting God, who hast given unto us thy servants grace, by the confession of a true faith, to acknowledge the glory of the eternal Trinity, and in the power of the Divine Majesty to worship the Unity; We beseech thee that thou wouldst keep us stedfast in this faith, and evermore defend us from all adversities, who livest and reignest, one God, world without end. Amen.

"Trinity Sunday," The Book of Common Prayer (USA, 1928)



A Heritage Reflection

"Prophecy tells, the Gospel confirms, the Apostle explains, the Church confesses, that He Who was seen is true God...."

St. Hilary of Poitiers (315?-367) On the Trinity

* * * *
And this also by St. Hilary from the same work--

"For my own part, it was not only the claim which my vocation has upon me, the duty of diligently preaching the Gospel which, as a bishop, I owe to the Church, that has led me on. My eagerness to write has increased with the increasing numbers endangered and enthralled by this heretical theory [i.e., Arianism]. There was a rich prospect of joy in the thought of multitudes who might be saved, if they could know the mysteries of the right faith in God, and abandon the blasphemous principles of human folly, desert the heretics and surrender themselves to God...."

No comments: